Addiction Counseling in Charlotte, North Carolina - Charlotte Detox
When you live with addiction, you may feel the condition’s impact on every part of your life. Your relationships, mental and physical health, and ability to function in your daily life may suffer.
Addiction is a complex condition with many roots in a person’s behaviors, genetics, beliefs, and environment. People living with substance abuse need comprehensive treatment that addresses addiction’s physical, emotional, and behavioral aspects so they can leave it behind and move forward into a healthier, sober future.
Mental health care, including individual therapy, must be part of your addiction treatment program and aftercare plan. With a qualified therapist, you can begin to identify triggers, make goals, and learn new, healthy coping skills.
Finding addiction therapy can be challenging. You must find a therapist who offers the treatment you need and one who makes you feel comfortable during sessions. If you are in North Carolina and need to find addiction counseling in Charlotte, reach out today to the specialists at Charlotte North Carolina Detox.
Understanding what happens during treatment and how to find an addiction counselor can help you make the best choices about your care.
What Happens in Addiction Therapy?
Individual substance abuse counseling happens in many treatment settings. Whether in an outpatient program or receiving residential or inpatient treatment, you will likely participate in both group and individual counseling sessions.
While every program and counselor is different, many substance abuse counseling aspects are the same. First, addiction therapy practitioners must maintain their clients’ safety and confidentiality. Substance abuse counselors have a specific education, experience, and certification to offer addiction therapy. When searching for substance abuse counseling in Charlotte, you may interview several therapists before choosing one who provides the services you need.
Generally, individual drug and alcohol counseling includes:
- An intake assessment
- Taking time to build rapport and trust
- Setting goals
- Learning and practicing life skills
- Regular evaluations
- Referrals to other community resources or treatment programs
- Identifying destructive beliefs and patterns
- Developing new, healthy routines and habits
- Non-judgmental listening
In addition to providing a safe space to process emotions, addiction counseling encourages people to imagine a new, healthier lifestyle and then make it possible. Clients set their own goals during the counseling sessions, then work with the therapist to progress toward them.
Individual counseling sessions may happen several times a week during a treatment program. A person may choose to continue participating in counseling for months or years after completing their program.
Using Substance Abuse Counseling in Charlotte After Treatment
After completing a treatment program in Charlotte, it is essential to Identify and avoid triggers that can derail your progress in recovery. Participating in substance abuse counseling gives people new skills to manage their triggers, which can include:
- Environmental triggers: Places, situations, people, or specific dates or seasons can be triggering for people in addiction recovery. While people can avoid some of their triggers, they must learn new ways to remain sober when faced with unavoidable triggers.
- Social Cues: People often end up following the crowd. This can be risky for people in addiction recovery. Staying active in addiction therapy can increase self-esteem and give people the skills they need to manage social pressure.
- Stressors: Without the tools to manage it, stress can lead to a relapse. Stressful situations, trauma, or simply day-to-day stress can be triggering. A counselor can teach new skills to manage stress and stay sober when the pressure is high.
Identifying triggers, increasing your self-esteem, increasing your motivation, and learning to manage stress can reduce your risk of relapse.
Finding Addiction Counseling in Charlotte, North Carolina
It is crucial to find a counselor who works in the way you prefer, offers the services you need, and makes you feel comfortable and heard during sessions. There are several ways to find substance abuse counseling in Charlotte, including:
- Asking your medical provider for a referral
- Locating a therapist through your insurance company
- Asking friends and family for recommendations
- Reaching out to the staff at a local treatment center
At Charlotte North Carolina Detox, we are eager to support clients by making referrals for substance abuse counseling in Charlotte.
Benefits of Addiction Therapy After Rehab
Most evidence-based addiction treatment programs include individual and group counseling sessions. Since addiction is never truly cured, people in recovery must find ways to stay committed and engaged in their sobriety. After completing a treatment program, people must continue the work they started by creating and sticking to an aftercare plan. Continuing to attend individual addiction counseling sessions can be helpful as a part of an aftercare plan.
During treatment and afterward, substance abuse counseling gives people in recovery the meaningful support and guidance they need, including:
- A non-judgmental listener
- Objective advice and feedback
- A reliable source of support
- Valuable tools to manage stress
- New coping skills
Research shows that people in recovery are more likely to achieve their goals and avoid relapse if they stay active in addiction therapy. Every addiction treatment program and aftercare plan should include substance abuse counseling.
Get Help Now
For more information about finding substance abuse counseling in Charlotte, contact the staff at Charlotte North Carolina Detox today.
Medically Reviewed: April 25, 2022
All of the information on this page has been reviewed and verified by a certified addiction professional.