Holistic Drug & Alcohol Detox - Charlotte Detox Center
Addiction can be hard on your body, mind, and spirit. It can strain your most important relationships, cause harm to your physical and mental health, and lead to legal or financial trouble that can follow you for years.
Comprehensive addiction treatment can allow you to build a different, healthier future. By learning the skills you need to avoid relapse and getting the support you need, you can change your life’s course and put substance abuse behind you.
Once you are ready to make a change, where should you begin? In many cases, people must go to a medically-supervised detox program. While detox is a natural process, many people require support and treatment to get through it. The structure of a detox program can significantly improve your chances of having a safe, complete detox.
But addiction is not simply a physical condition. It is not sufficient to only treat your body’s needs during detox. Addiction involves the whole person–body, mind, and spirit. Holistic drug detox centers can give you the physical care you need while also tending to your mind and soul.
Learn more about how holistic drug detox can be the first step toward recovery from addiction. Reach out to the caring staff at Charlotte North Carolina Detox for more information about our programs.
Why Should I Go To Detox?
Addiction is a powerful and complex condition. Over a period of heavy or prolonged use, your body adapts to the presence of the drug and may become dependent on it. If you abruptly stop using the drug, your body will need to adjust to the absence of the drug.
While detox is a natural process, most people experience uncomfortable symptoms during withdrawal. The symptoms you experience during withdrawal depend partly on what drugs you used and how much you were using. Some common symptoms of drug withdrawal include:
- Muscle cramps
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Agitation and irritability
- Poor concentration
- Intense cravings for the drug
Going through withdrawal can cause you to experience intense physical and emotional discomfort. Many people start using drugs again before the detox process is complete because of the intensity of their symptoms and cravings.
Having a medically-supervised drug detox program’s support, supervision, and structure can help you have a safe, comfortable withdrawal period. During detox, medical and addiction specialists will monitor and treat you for discomfort and provide the emotional support you need to complete detox.
What is Holistic Drug Detox?
Addiction is not just a physical condition, so it is not enough to just treat the physical aspects. People do better in recovery when they receive whole-person treatment.
Holistic drug detox programs offer care for a person’s body, mind, and spirit. While receiving holistic detoxification services, people engage in evidence-based treatments, such as medications and counseling, while receiving holistic treatments that support their overall health.
People can receive high-quality, evidence-based treatment alongside effective, compassionate healing treatments in a holistic drug detox program. After completing this type of detox, people may be healthier and better prepared to begin a substance abuse treatment program.
Common Therapies Used in a Holistic Drug Detox Program
In addition to evidence-based detox treatments, holistic drug detox programs often utilize other types of therapies and activities that can support whole-person healing. Some examples of treatments commonly used in holistic drug detox programs include:
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) therapy: This natural IV therapy may reduce cravings and lessen the severity of withdrawal symptoms, especially in people detoxing from alcohol.
- Acupuncture: This ancient practice can reduce withdrawal symptoms and pain.
- Massage: Soothes sore muscles, boosts relaxation, and promotes a sense of calm.
- Nutrition counseling: Eating nutritiously can reduce withdrawal symptoms, increase overall physical health, and boost emotional well-being.
- Art and music: Creativity may help boost your self-esteem, give you something to fill your time productively, and lower stress.
- Exercise: Used to increase blood flow, improve strength and overall health, improve sleep, and increase self-confidence.
- Yoga: Improves strength and flexibility, boosts self-worth, reduces anxiety, and promotes relaxation.
- Meditation: Teaches people to stop and healthily process emotions, can reduce impulsivity and reactivity, can reduce anxiety, and may improve sleep quality.
Holistic therapies support people’s healing during detox and help people avoid relapse in the future. Using these skills can help people achieve their goal of lifelong sobriety by giving them the tools to cope with physical and emotional discomfort without turning to drugs and alcohol.
Benefits of Holistic Drug Detox
Participating in a holistic drug detox program can greatly improve your likelihood of recovery from addiction. Choosing a holistic detox offers many short and long-term benefits. These include:
- Increased comfort during detox
- Reduction in side effects
- Non-invasive treatment options
- Increased overall health and wellbeing
- Increased self-esteem and self-worth
- Improved concentration and memory
- Learning new, healthy coping skills
Completing detox and learning new, healthy ways to manage stress, pain, and discomfort can help you achieve your goal of lifelong sobriety.
Get Help Now
For information about starting a holistic drug and alcohol detox program, reach out to Charlotte North Carolina Detox staff today.
Medically Reviewed: April 25, 2022
All of the information on this page has been reviewed and verified by a certified addiction professional.